We are not accepting any new homeowner or homeowner repair applications at this time. Please check back to this location for the announcement of the next upcoming application period. Thank you.
Habitat for Humanity is a Christian housing ministry financed through private donations and the utilization of volunteer labor. Our purpose is to build decent homes with partner homeowners who demonstrate the need for affordable housing. We sell the houses at no profit and no interest to people who could not otherwise afford a home. You do not need to be a Christian to apply or be accepted as a Habitat Partner Family.
Greater Manchester Habitat for Humanity builds modest homes for hardworking low-income families. To become a Habitat homeowner, a family must be in need of affordable housing, able to make a monthly mortgage, tax, and insurance payments, and be anxious to work as a partner with Habitat.
Our Partner Families have a wide range of backgrounds and circumstances. We use the word Partner to focus attention on the expectation of involvement for the selected family. A family is expected to contribute many hours working side by side with Habitat volunteers in construction of their home. Often a family will contribute to the fundraising efforts of the organization. Becoming a Partner Family means meeting certain criteria for need, income, and willingness. It means attending classes, participating in construction, and developing homeownership and good neighbor skills.
The Habitat program is designed for low-income families who are committed to building a better place to raise families. Becoming a Habitat homeowner is not a solution for families facing a housing crisis that involves finding a new place to live right away (anyone in this situation is urged to contact their local municipality or dial 2-1-1 for a referral).
Habitat homeowners need to meet three criteria:
- Need for housing
- Ability to pay
- Willingness to partner
Once the application is received it is reviewed by the Family Selection Committee. They then select qualified families for home visits where the process is fully explained and the home is reviewed for living conditions. The most qualified families are then presented for a final selection which is made by the Board of Directors in a blind process.
To be considered for a Habitat for Humanity home, applicant families must submit an application and meet certain conditions.
- You must have a housing need. This may include: unsafe or unsanitary conditions, poor heating, leaks in the roof, under-housed or rent-burdened.
- You must live or work in our service area for a minimum of one year. Greater Manchester Habitat services Manchester, Hooksett, Candia, Auburn, Derry, Goffstown, Londonderry, Litchfield, Bedford, and Goffstown.
- You must be a legal US resident.
- You need to have a steady income and acceptable credit.
- You must participate in at least one Saturday Build.
- If you are approved for a Habitat home, you will be required to join in educational programs about homeownership, budgeting, home repair, and home maintenance.
- If you are approved, Greater Manchester Habitat requires that all adult members (18 years and older) in your household be willing to work toward a maximum of 500 sweat-equity hours.
- You must agree to make monthly payments when they are due, which include taxes, insurance, and a reserve for major repairs.
On approval and completion of sweat-equity hours and down payment requirements, Greater Manchester Habitat will sell the home at cost. Mortgage payments are interest-free but include the costs of taxes and insurance. These house payments will be used by Habitat to continue building more homes for other families. Non-payment of monthly payments will lead to foreclosure.
If you believe that you could qualify for a home based on the above guidelines, we encourage you to visit Greater Manchester Habitat for Humanity’s office and pick up and fill out an application. We will schedule at least one home visit for qualifying applicant to complete the application process.
Call 603-626-3944 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org